Photograph by Steve Brown
I first saw this recipe on Taste.com & thought I'd give it a try as I LOVE creme caramel (or flan as we call it in my family). I was shocked at how quick & easy this version was & it is silky and delicious! It's so good, my boyfriend just aboiut wet himself with delight when he tried it!
Ingredients (serves 8)
1 1/2 cups caster sugar
300mls thickened cream
400ml can coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Place 1 cup sugar and 1/4 cup cold water in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until sugar has dissolved. Increase heat to medium. Cook, without stirring, brushing down sides of pan occasionally with a wet pastry brush, for 8 to 10 minutes or until deep golden. Remove from heat. Pour caramel into a 6cm-deep, 20cm (base) round cake pan. Set aside to cool and harden. (Before pouring your caramel, make sure you have a pan that will fit in a bigger dish because the caramel will harden quickly once poured into the pan).
2. Preheat oven to 160°C/140°C fan-forced. Place cream, milk and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes until hot and small bubbles form at edge of pan. Remove from heat.
3. Whisk eggs and remaining sugar in a large bowl. Slowly add cream mixture, whisking constantly. Strain mixture into cake pan.
4. Place cake pan in a baking dish. Pour boiling water into baking dish until halfway up sides of pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until firm and just set and the custard has a sexy jiggle to it. Remove pan from oven and water bath. Set aside to cool. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
5. Run a thin knife around edge of custard. Turn out onto a plate - To turn out, place plate over top of pan. Carefully turn pan over, pressing base of pan to release creme caramel - and serve.
x Sunny x