So many of my friends spend their time stressed & unhappy because of the pressures of life. It's time to say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!! Stress will never get you anywhere good.
Don't misunderstand, in small doses it can help you perform under pressure and motivate you to do your best. But when you’re constantly running in emergency mode, your mind and body end up paying the price.
Long-term exposure to stress can lead to serious health problems. Chronic stress disrupts nearly every system in your body. It can raise blood pressure, suppress the immune system, increase the risk of heart attack and stroke, contribute to infertility, and speed up the aging process. Long-term stress can even rewire the brain, leaving you more vulnerable to anxiety and depression.
Plus, who wants to spend time with a person who is depressing & negative & full of worry? Its time to stop the stress & embrace the happiness!
So here are 10 ways to avoid & deal with stress:
1. Take a bath! Taking time out of your busy day to get some perspective can make a big difference. Use that bath time to relax, don't think about the things stressing you - think about your happy place & the wonderful things you foresee in your future!
2. If you're feeling stressed about your debt or your most recent credit card bill, you'll be amazed to find that the moment you create a plan to pay off the debt & get your finances in order - then implement those changes - the stress is completely gone. This is something I've been teaching some of my friends over the past couple of years.
3. Spend time with people who make you happy & make a pact with yourself not to talk about your stress. If that seems too difficult, aim for spending no more than 10 minutes on the topic the entire day.
4. Escape from your life for an hour or so by immersing yourself in a good book or movie on the weekend. If you work a regular 9-5 then your weekends should be for you, not for you to obsess over something!
5. If you're stressed from work, it may be a good idea to consider a different profession or talking to your boss about your stress levels. Most companies these days highly value their employees and understand that a stressed out worker isn't going to give them the optimal work they want. Most will also have some kind of counselling service if you feel like that might be suited to you.
6. Consider your planning. Do you have massive goals that can't be achieved or do you not make any goals at all? It's most effective to give yourself some broader guidelines and then break it down into achievable blocks. That way you don't get stressed about not being able to achieve your goals. Often just feeling like your working towards something can keep you satisfied & feeling productive!
7. Get to the gym or hit the pool. Exercising & keeping your body active can help stress enormously. Try going hard against a punching bag & then tell me you're not feeling better! Imagine whoever is stressing you out on the bag & go for your life!
8. Write a list of why you stressed & possible ways to fix it. Then write a list of things that make you happy & excited about life. Writing things down can help you get the words out of your head.
9. Get your 8 hours. It will help your stress levels, your skin & your entire body! Wake up refreshed and feeling like you can take on the world!!
10. Last, but not least: TALK TO SOMEBODY ABOUT IT! Whether its your mum, your sibling, your partner or your best friend! Stress can mount & turn into a much bigger problem. Talking to someone will give you a chance to get the feelings & emotions off your chest, plus the other person may be able to give you some perspective on the problem. But remember, you don't want to be the person who spends all day talking about how miserable you are. Speak about it, listen to what the other person has to say (or if its a family member, accept their hugs!) and then go think about it. Then you yell ENOUGH IS ENOUGH and you continue to live your fabulous life!
Think about it - what does stressing out achieve? If there is nothing you can do about the problem, stress will be a useless reaction. If it's making you miserable then it's not doing you any good - and like anything else that isn't benefiting you, let it go & embrace better & more wonderful things. You are too amazing to be stressed!
x Sunny x
ps. I have this postcard (pictured) on my fridge as a constant reminder!