As I have previously mentioned, boys seem to be at a bit of a loss when it comes to romance. I am constantly giving my make friends & brothers advice on how to impress their dates. It seems parents aren’t teaching their sons these things & as a result we have all these boys & men bumbling around thinking that late night binge drinking is an acceptable date. In case you’re wondering, it’s not. So here is a quick compilation of first dates to help you along! Girls – pay attention too, you can’t expect the men to do all the work!
Remember the saying, "Actions speak louder than words?" Well, when it comes to dating this is a good thing to pay attention to. I haven’t included any dinner/lunch/brunch dates because I am personally not a fan of eating a meal on the first few dates; it makes it difficult to communicate & leaves you wide open to embarrass yourself.
1. Go out for a cup of coffee, a hot chocolate or your non-alcoholic beverage of choice. This is still my favourite first date, it gives you a chance to talk to the potential partner and suss out whether it’s worth having a second date. You could go out for an alcoholic beverage, but I prefer not to as it does not usually provide an intimate place to get to know each other & alcohol can bring out the worst in some.
2. Play some pool. If you feel like you're the best thing to happen to billiards since the cue-stick after seeing Tom Cruise in The Color Of Money, why not invite him or her to play some pool with you? Most men will love the chance to give the girl some hands on lessons!
3. If you can't tell the difference between a wedge and an iron, maybe miniature golf is the way to go. A cheap and fairly easy "sport," it allows for some physical contact when you have to give her a crash course on how to hold the putter.
4. People who have to constantly break the bank to go on dates have little imagination. There are plenty of cheap things to do, such as a picnic, which is also a good venue for you to show off your sandwich-making skills and your sangria expertise. Pack a lunch, grab a blanket & find a nice place to relax.
5. Have a movie night with your date, challenging each other to bring a flick within the allotted theme of the night – such as worst movie of all time or the best classic you’ve never heard of. In future, you could even go so far as to make a cheap date weekend out of it and create your own personal Oscars screening or private themed film festival.
6. Plan a French afternoon - get a baguette, some cheese and a nice French wine.
7. Go to a museum or art gallery. If traditional art isn’t your thing you could take your lover to something like Sculpture by the sea (an event we have in Sydney where artists create their sculptures by a popular beach walk).
8. Go to a 2nd hand bookstore and scour the shelves for gems. This will probably only work if you’re both book worms like me. There are many things to be found in second hand bookstores, usually a few books you can have a giggle about too.
9. Visit a tourist spot in your city. You’d be surprised how many people haven’t seen the sights of their own city. If you’re in Sydney like me why don’t you go to Centre Point, Sydney tower or perhaps take a walk around the harbour.
10. Take a walk around the markets. Again, in Sydney it’s got to be The Rocks Markets. Lots going on & loads of places to explore.
11. Go for a walk. Take a stroll around a lake, a park or just your neighbourhood. You could grab a hot chocolate or a milkshake & see where your feet take you. The best dates I’ve been on were spontaneous and easy going.
12. Visit the Zoo or Aquarium - Animals appeal to people's sense tenderness and humor. There will usually be something to ‘Oooo’ and ‘Ahhh’ at as well as something to touch & talk about afterwards.
13. Go to the beach. If she’s (or he’s) not keen on stripping off on the first date then you can go & take a walk around the beach or buy some ice cream.
14. Go to the drive-in. Snuggle up and enjoy the latest movie releases from the comfort of your car.
15. Take your date to Lunar Park at night time, win her some stuffed animals & generally enjoy the romantic lighting of a theme park at night.
Manners on a First Date
Good manners are always in style. If you do not have them, you have no place being in polite society.
· Thank the other person for the date - always, without exception.
· Focus on the Other Person - pay attention to your date. No wandering eyes. No preoccupation with old relationships, work, bank robberies. Be THERE. When you’re with your lover than you must be completely with your lover.
· Do not answer your phone or text message – It is very bad form to answer your phone when on a date. If you must answer it you politely ask your date “I’m sorry, do you mind if I get this?” when they say yes you quickly answer & tell the person you are out & you will call them back later. Unless it is an extreme emergency (or a get out of jail call to help you escape from the date) there is no reason it cannot wait until you have said goodnight to your date.
· Listen actively to what your date says - Don't interrupt. While your date is talking, don't spend time thinking about what you're going to say when it's your turn.
· Attitudes and Habits - stay positive. Don't complain on a first date. Be cautious about alcohol - if you drink heavily, you're not going to be at your best. If your date gets drunk on your first date, it's not necessarily due to nervousness. He or she is likely to be a heavy-drinker, at best, and could end up drooling on your new, pressed clothes as you shovel him or her into a cab.
I hope this helps you!